Top 5 Shopify Alternatives In Nigeria: N0.5 Will Make You Dump Shopify Right Away
Nigerian e-commerce has been on the rise in recent years. The number of people buying online has tripled and it is expected to triple again in the next 3 years. As a result, Nigerian entrepreneurs are exploring new ways to make sales more profitable.
Shopify is a fantastic e-commerce platform that provides entrepreneurs with the right tools to build their online stores. It also offers many features for small and growing businesses. However, it might not be suitable for all entrepreneurs because of its cost and complexity. Also Shopify’s transaction fees can be too high for some small businesses. If you are looking for alternatives, here are 5 top Shopify substitutes for Nigerians:
Here are 5 top Shopify substitutes for Nigerians:
- Wix E-commerce
Woo-commerce is one of the most popular open-source platform out there; It’s an e-commerce plugin that allows you to sell your products on a WordPress site. It offers integration with major payment gateways like PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net and shipping carriers like Australia Post, FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL Express and many more.
The Woo Commerce plugin can be used for both small and large-scale businesses. It offers a wide range of options for merchants who are looking to customize their online store with specific features and functionality.
- Countless themes: Pick the theme that works for you. WooCommerce is designed to work seamlessly with themes you know and love, including each year’s default WordPress themes and many popular themes from around the web.
- Unrestricted customization: Edit any part of your site — from the homepage layout to the buy button — to stand out from the crowd.
- Built-in blogging: Publish great content and build a strong brand. Use WooCommerce to integrate eCommerce with the world’s most popular content publishing platform.
- Embed products, checkout and more on any page: Use shortcodes to add your products to blog posts, or create landing pages that go straight to checkout.
- Categories, tags and attributes make products easier to find: Help customers find what they want by adding tags to describe a product. Add attributes like size so customers can search for items most relevant to them.
- Product ratings and reviews: Show customer feedback directly on the product page, including a ‘Verified Owner’ label.
- Customize for your location: Set the currency, language and measurement units (inches, centimeters or anything else) that’s right for you.
- Product sorting and filtering: Let customers sort products by popularity, newness, rating, price or attribute to find the right fit.
- Unlimited images and galleries: Include any number of photos to show off your products. Set a featured image to highlight the best photo site-wide.
- Unlimited products: Add as many products as you want to sell — your only restriction is your inventory
2.) Big Commerce
Another Shopify alternative is BigCommerce. Bigcommerce is an eCommerce platform that allows small business owners to create a website and sell products without the need for coding or design skills.
This platform has a free version, but there are also paid options available for those who want to have more functionality. They offer various templates that you can use in order to set up your store. You can customize the design of your site and add in features like customer management, product listings, and shipping charges.
- All-in-One Solution : Business owners who are just starting out or do not wish to hire a developer will be attracted to BigCommerce’s all-in-one platform, which comes with everything you need to power an online store. This includes hosting, themes and apps, giving you access to multiple payment gateways, including blogging capabilities, and more.
- Ease of Use: BigCommerce is incredibly easy to use as any decent all-in-one platform should be. It’s even easy to get started with a free, 15-day trial. All you need to do is enter your email address, address, phone number and answer a few quick questions about your business.
- It also offers free and premium themes you can install and edit with ease. It’s also easy to create products and manage your store. More on the latter two in a bit.
- Pricing: Pricing is a little complex at BigCommerce, but the pricing options for small business are fairly competitive when compared to other ecommerce platforms. They are as follows:
- Standard — $29.95/month
- Plus — $79.95/month
- Pro — $199.95/month
You’ll also save 10% when you pay annually. These plans include no transaction fees, unlimited products, unlimited file storage and unlimited staff accounts. There are also a lot of free and affordable apps.
We’ll get to what makes this platform’s pricing complex in the cons list.
3.) Wix E-commerce
Wix is a website development and hosting platform that enables its users to build websites for themselves from scratch or from predefined templates.
Wix is a popular web development platform that allows its users to create their own websites or blogs. It also provides users with an array of templates that are ready-made for use. Wix also offers an easy-to-use interface along with the ability to sync and publish the content across other social media platforms.
The following are what wix ecommerce haas to offer;
- Storefront & ecommerce website: Customize your online store to create an exceptional shopping experience — from storefront to checkout.
- 500+ professional templates: Design the store you’ve always envisioned. Choose from over 500 stunning templates to suit every eCommerce business and customize anything exactly the way you want. Explore online store templates
- Mobile- optimized storefront: Wix ecomerce allows you to sell and market your products to customers on the move. With an advanced, built-in mobile editor, your online store looks great on any device — desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Multichannel Sales: Build and host your state-of-the-art Wix store and expand your commercial reach with multiple sales channels. Sell on Facebook, Instagram, Google Shopping, eBay and more — from a single dashboard.
- Custom online store: Create a unique and memorable shopping experience. Tailor every aspect of your site, including your storefront, custom cart and express checkout, to convert shoppers to customers.
- Extensive media library : Grab your customers’ attention with incredible, eye-catching imagery. Access a free library of 1M high-resolution images from Unsplash and interact with visitors using exclusive videos from Wix.
- Limitless customization with APIs: Extend our platform even further with flexible technology. Open APIs and Velo by Wix let you quickly connect your tools to create custom solutions — from ERPs to fulfillment services.
- Robust blog platform: Engage and grow your customer base by adding a blog to your site. Set up your blog, share your content on social and enjoy built-in features, like scheduled posts and additional blog contributors.
- Work with a Wix patner: Incase you need some help, you can hire an wix patner to create, design, market or optimize your online store .
Ecwid (stands for ECommerce WIDget) is an e-commerce platform. It provides a way for creatives and small business owners all over the world to create beautiful online stores without programmers and designers.
Ecwid provides a free customizable Instant site with a built-in online store. Just add products, personalize your storefront to reflect your brand and voila, you have a website! It is designed to be fully responsive so that your site and a store will look great on desktop, mobile, and tablet.
- Embeddable storefront : You can easily add your Ecwid store to your website or blog, or even to several websites at the same time. Your Ecwid store will adapt to the website design and look like a natural part of it. Customers can place orders right there, without leaving your website.
Depending on your needs and website design, you can choose whether you want to add the whole storefront, put a certain category, or sell individual products with Buy buttons. All you need to do is copy a corresponding code from your store admin and paste it to your website page.
- Facebook and Instagram sales channels: Put your products in front of millions of people by selling on Facebook and Instagram.
- Selling on TikTok: Start advertising your products on TikTok, the most popular social media today. You can also create a TikTok Shop with your products in it with the help of Ecwid.
- Recurring subscriptions: Decide how to sell your goods and services — with a one-time purchase or by offering subscriptions. With subscriptions, you can accept recurring payments for one or more items in your store. It’s the best way to sell beauty boxes, meal kits, regular services, and more. You can also take recurring donations using this feature.
- Fully customizable design and functionality: Get your store to look and feel just the way you want using built-in settings or get under the hood of your store with CSS. Adding apps from Ecwid’s App Market to your store gives you even more customization over your store and helps to automate and enhance your business.
- Multilingual catalog: When you sell worldwide, it’s always a good idea to showcase your store in the language of your customers. Learn more about translating your catalog.
KitCart is the fastest-growing e-commerce platform on the continent. Since launching its Nigerian operation in April 2019, Kitcart has quickly grown to become Africa’s leading E-commerce Software for African Entrepreneurs. Currently, the company serves 10,000 active users across 11 African countries and Jamaica.
Kitcart — often referred to as Shopify For Africa is a cloud-based ecommerce platform for online stores and retail point-of-sale systems that helps African businesses sell anything to anyone anywhere.
- Payment Gateways: KitCart allows you to receive payments via bank transfers and seamless card payments with the accelerated check out option KitPay, which helps you skip the lengthy third-party activations and go from setup to selling in one click. KitCart also supports- Stripe, Paypal, Paystack, Flutterwave as well as crypto payments with Bitpay.
- Shipping: KitCart also supports shipping carriers like Australia Post, FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL Express and many more
- Sell like crazy: With a KitCart store, there is no limit to how much you can sell. Customers can order from anywhere in the world for anything you have in stock at anytime.
- Welcome to Freedom: If you want to sell without sacrificing your FREEDOM, waiting for customers to reply your DM, or stacking your WhatsApp with contacts. Then KitCart is for you.
Questions to Answer Before Deciding
This year marks my 5th year in business, what I learned is that, Business Owners needs to Focus on what maters. Nothing happens until sales is made.
So the most important thing is to use the platform that guarantees sales. You need the right platform that can help your business flourish. It is important to find a platform that suits what you need, and you don’t want to be paying for features you’ll never use.
Personally, I use KitCart 90% of the times i’m setting up an an e-commerce store for clients.
Here is why
- KitCart is superfast
- Its the Most Native E-commerce Platform. Quite built with the typical African business in mind.
- Its ridiculously affordable- The last time I checked they have a plan as low as 20,000 Naira for a year long plan. Covers Hosting, domain etc.
3. KitCart has a legendary payment option KitPay. I say it’s legendary because it allows Customers order for your products and make payment via bank transfer. While you Automatically verify payment received, the customer in turn receives a KitCode that authenticates the payment and the transaction is synced with your store.
What could be a more native check out option to collect money from a Nigerian Client?
I Have a Confession
Finallly, ensure any of the options You’re settling for ticks your all your check lists and most importantly, Choose the ones that allows you sell more.
I wish your brand best of Success in your E-commerce Journey.